Monday, August 11, 2008

The worst thing about being a new parent

By far, the worst thing about having a baby is sleep deprivation. There is a reason it is considered a form of torture! If you've ever been forced to survive on 4-6 hours of sleep at night in blocks of less than 3 hours, you'll know that you turn into a different person. I turn cranky and mean and say all sort of horrible things.

Luckily, with Kiera getting older by the minute and Bob over the not-sleeping-hump, I think I see some light at the end of the tunnel. I think I'm going to be a nice, patient, loving person again someday. I hope that my husband will still love me when that time finally arrives and he won't remember enough to hold against me. I know I've catalogued all sorts of offenses that he's committed but I no longer remember any of them so I won't have any ammunition if war breaks out.

The best part about the kids getting older is that I'm done breast-feeding and I at least feel like I'm getting closer to the person I was before kids. I actually want to have time for my husband again. I'm interested in something besides every last detail of my kids daily activities. I think we might actually be a real couple again someday soon, that is, if I can ever get some sleep!

No comments: